Sunday, September 23, 2007

Is it unfair to make fun of the French?

Probably. No doubt it isn't PC either. But this is a bit amusing. Here is the French version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? I will just outline the basic question for you. You can watch it and you'll pick up most of it quite easily. I'll reserve comments, which will spoil the "plot" of the video, until below the video so you are free to watch first and then read if you so desire.

The question that is under consideration is: what revolves around the earth? The four possible answers are 1) the moon; 2) the sun; 3) Mars and 4) Venus.



It is one thing to joke about this contestant who didn't know one of the basic facts of the universe. The moon revolves around the Earth. That's what moons do.

But what I found baffling is that when he polled the audience the majority of them got it wrong as well. And 2% of them apparently thought that it was Mars that revolves around the Earth. I'd like to believe most Americans would do better. While I'm sure a lot of people would get it wrong I would hope a majority got it right. Either way, as long as this floating around I hope the French tone down remarks about stupid Americans.

Labels: ,