Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Not all asses are equal.

I don't follow soccer, or football as it is known in most the world. But the former managing director of Italian team, Luciano Moggi, gave an interview on Italian television which strikes me as rather amusing. Make no mistake about it, the man is a moronic bigot, but sometimes bigots are such morons that they make an ass of themselves in public. And Mr. Moggi appears to have done that.

His concern was that of gay men playing soccer (football). He told the press: "There are no gays in football." But if there were, he says, he wouldn't hire them. Thinking about it I haven't known any soccer players who were gay. I did know some rugby players who were and they thought soccer was for sissies.

The comment that I thought was scripted by the comedy writers at Saturday Night Live was this one: "A homosexual cannot do the job of a footballer. The football world is not designed for them, it's a special atmosphere, one in which you stand naked under the showers."

It seems odd to me that, of the various aspects of soccer he could have mentioned, the only thing he could come up with was "stand naked under the showers." Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I would think that of the things that could happen, having a gaggle of naked men standing in the showers was clearly something gay men would excel at.

Photo: I admit, I cheated. They're rugby players not football players. Don't be shocked, this isn't the first photo of an ass on the site. Remember, I did run photos of Bob Barr a couple of times.

Labels: ,