Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Impressive


It was time to put my old desk top to sleep, a deep permanent sleep. And the laptop is great but far too small to work on easily especially for major projects. So this is the replacement: an iMac. My first computer was a Commodore 64. If that doesn't date me nothing will. But when I traded that it I went with Apple and have stayed there ever since. A few attempts to use a non-Apple PC have convinced me that I made the right decision.

This iMac really impressed me and somewhat surprised me. I hadn't paid much attention so I thought the screen was one part and some tower would come with it. But everything is in the screen. What you see is the entire system. And the keyboard is about 1/4 inch thick.

The picture quality for DVDs and the like is rather impressive as well. And what really surprised me was when I paused a video and then had an option to watch film previews via the internet offered to me. I tried it and the film clips were coming through almost instantly without any indication of delay whatsoever. So often a film takes time to buffer. Not here. It was like watching a DVD. The screen is nice and big making it easy to work with. I still have to familiarize myself with all the bells and whistles however.

And tomorrow I have to transfer everything over from my lap top, which has been my primary tool. Even though the screen is a rather large 20 inches, widescreen, the entire system takes up hardly any space. My main complaint was that the mouse is an awful little thing with a reach of about 12 inches. I plugged my old Microsoft mouse in and it works much better.

All in all, I'm happy with the new system (so far). Based on my past experience with Apple it should be a reliable machine.