Tuesday, November 24, 2009

America's Best Christian on the Mormons



Some amusing satired by Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian.

In related news, but not humor, is the story of an evangelical church in Denver. Having given much deserved grief to the fundamentalists for their bigotry I should mention this attempt to change. Highlands Church, is an evangelical church run by Mark Tidd. Tidd said he watched Christians he knew who were gay trying to change and repeatedly failing. He concluded that if this sort of attempted change were really the will og God then the process ought "to be life-giving." Instead he says that "people were not flourishing. The results were broken spirits, despair and depression." (Sounds right to me.)

After giving this much thought Tidd told his congregation that the church would be welcoming to gay people. Tidd said: "If you had told me 10 years ago I would be standing here... speaking out in favor of gay marriage and ordination. I would have told you, you were crazy." Tidd had a congregation of 350. Around half his congregation walked-out. (Now, that's the fundamentalism I have come to know and loathe.)

Labels: ,